This is a recipe for anyone who says they can’t cook. It takes maximum 10 minutes to assemble at breakfast time. Put the slow cooker on the low setting for 8 hours, and voila! When you get home at the end of the day with hungry children dinner is ready. Kids love lamb, it has a sweet flavour, and it is so tender when slow cooked.
1 leg of lamb, bone in.
1kg white waxy potatoes
1kg sweet potatoes
1 bulb of garlic
1 head broccoli
- Make small cuts in the lamb and massage in some of the rosemary and mint
- If you have time, brown the lamb on a high heat for a few minutes. If you don’t have time / don’t want to dirty another saucepan, I don’t think it is crucially important.
- Put the lamb in the slow cooker.
- Wash and trim the potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots. It is quicker and healthier not to peel. This is particularly true if you are eating organically.
- Add to the slow cooker.
- Peel some cloves of garlic, as many as you have the time and patience for, add to the slow cooker. When cooked like this they are mild and slightly caramelised, so it is hard to have too many.
- Add some cracked pepper and celtic sea salt.
- Close lid, turn to low setting and leave for 8 hours. No need to add liquid, as the vegetables will provide this.
- At dinner time, lightly steam some broccoli to serve on the side.